justice for all
To Report Elder Abuse & Mistreatment
Adult Abuse Hotline:
Reports can also be made to a County Department of Human Resources or local law enforcement.
Reports can be made anonymously.
We are a trusted resource
that seeks to improve long-term health, social, and functional status; enhance autonomy and independence. We mitigate the risks of recurrent abuse so older individuals can remain safe and independent in their local communities as they age.
Elder Abuse Defined
In our society, older people, for example, are often isolated and alone, which increases the likelihood of neglect and abuse. We can create a more just society for all people—regardless of our age—by building a stronger social structure. Elder abuse is a serious health pandemic that we all should care about and eliminate in Alabama.
The Warning Signs
Elder giving excessive financial reimbursement/gifts for needed care and companionship
Caregiver has control of elder’s finances but fails to provide for elder’s needs
- Lack of basic hygiene, adequate food, or clean and appropriate clothing, medical aids (glasses, walker, dentures, hearing aid, medications)
- Person with dementia left unsupervised
- Person confined to a bed left without care
- Home cluttered, filthy, in state of disrepair, or with fire and safety hazards
- Home without adequate facilities (stove, refrigerator, heating, cooling, working plumbing, and electricity)
- Untreated pressure “bed” sores (pressure ulcers)
Helping older adults age in place
The Center for Elder Justice & Advocacy works to build a stronger social structure around older adults, so we can reduce isolation and stop abuse and neglect before they start. We all want to age in place with dignity, respect, and independence.
People with Alzheimer’s Disease or Related Dementia are at a much greater risk of adult mistreatment and providing care to a loved one with dementia can be a daunting task. The Center places a special focus to support family caregivers and provide the assistance and tools they need to better care for their loved ones as they go through their caregiving journey.